Saturday, February 11, 2012

Spicy Orange Tofu

I find a lot of people are afraid to use tofu.  People shy away from it because they think it has no flavor or they don't like the texture or something.  I'll be honest, I can understand where these ideas come from.  I have not yet been able to bring myself to try things like tofu shakes.  I've seen pictures and they look yummy, but something about drinking tofu just doesn't sit right with me.  Maybe someday I'll get brave and try it, but until then I have some other delicious tofu recipes to share with you.
Tofu itself does not have a lot of flavor, but that is what's so great about it - it will take on the flavor of whatever you put it with.
This recipe is one of my favorites and has even been a big hit with my husband who is not so into tofu.  If you are tired of the same old recipes, give this one a shot!



I originally found this recipe on a site for vegan recipes, but since I am not vegan I have adapted it to use eggs instead of egg replacer.  If you want, you can find the original recipe here.

Spicy Orange Tofu
-1 block extra firm tofu*
-olive oil, for frying
-1/4 C (or more to taste) green onions, chopped
-2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp of water
-1 C orange juice
-1/2 C orange jelly or marmalade*
-1 Tbsp grated orange peel
-1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less to taste.  1/4 tsp adds some mild spice.)
-1 Tbsp vinegar
-1 egg
-1/4 C cornstarch

Drain and press your tofu and cut it into medium sized cubes.  Set aside.
Mix the 2 Tbsp and cornstarch and water in a large bowl until smooth.  Add the orange juice, jelly, orange peel, crushed red pepper, and vinegar.  Mix and set aside.
Crack the egg into a small bowl and put the 1/4 C of cornstarch in another bowl.  Dip the tofu pieces in the egg and then coat them in the cornstarch.  Once they are all coated, pour a few tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan and fry the tofu until golden on all sides.  Once the tofu is golden on all sides pour in the orange mixture and green onions and stir until the sauce is thickened.
Serve over white rice (or brown, but I prefer white with this dish).

*A couple of notes about this:
- First, make sure you buy a brand of tofu that is REALLY firm.  The last time I made this the tofu I ended up with said it was extra firm, but it was extremely soft and broke easily.  Buy a brand you are familiar with
- Second, whichever jelly or marmalade you choose to use, make sure it has sugar in it.  I once made this for a cousin who at the time was on a no sugar (including sugar replacements like splenda), no flour diet.  It took me a long time to figure out what I could make for her and in the end I made this dish using a sugar free marmalade.  It came out tasting bitter.  It really needs the bit of sugar that is in the jelly.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment